Verify TIN Information for Form 1095-B

After determining the individuals who should receive or be reported on the Form 1095-B, it is important to verify their taxpayer identification number (TIN) information.

Verify TINs Before Filing

Failing to include a recipient’s TIN, or providing the wrong TIN, could result in your filing being rejected, requiring corrections, re-issuing recipient copies, and potential penalties by the IRS. In order to avoid such consequences, you should make an effort to begin verifying TIN information as soon as it is available to you.

We created TINCorrect in order to help filers accurately submit their IRS information returns.

With TINCorrect, you can verify Social Security Numbers (SSN) or company Employer Identification Numbers (EIN) before submitting your ACA forms to the IRS.

TINCorrect works by allowing you to enter a TIN with the name of an associated individual or business and verifying that information against IRS records. You can check each TIN individually or use bulk uploading for large batches. TINCorrect will alert you of any invalid TINs and typically return the results to you within one business day.

Key Takeaway

By recognizing TIN issues before you file, you have the opportunity to fix any errors prior to submitting to the IRS and avoid penalties. You can then request a TIN solicitation to ensure you receive the most accurate information from the individuals and businesses for whom you are filing. If the TIN continues to be rejected, you will have proof that you made a good faith effort to correct the invalid information, which will also help protect you against potential penalties.

As always, it’s important to stay on top of the deadlines to ensure that you have all of your data verified with plenty of time to file. Check them out here:

BoomTax, The Boom Post, and its affiliates do not provide tax, legal or accounting advice. This material has been prepared for informational purposes only, and is not intended to provide, and should not be relied on for, tax, legal or accounting advice. You should consult your own tax, legal and accounting advisors prior to engaging in any transaction.

About Author