We are proud to announce that ACA e-filing is now open for submissions to the IRS through your BoomTax account!
To e-file your ACA reporting, simply log in to your BoomTax account, click on your filing, and click the large ‘e-File’ button at the top of your review screen. Continue reading ACA e-Filing is Now Open!
Over the weekend, the IRS released a new login portal for e-Services with a required two-factor authentication component called Secure Access Authentication. This means that you will now need to enter a code from your phone each time you login to use IRS e-Services.
Secure Access Authentication Methods
The IRS provides a few different ways to get this code. The most common ways are via text message or their own IRS2Go app. If you choose to use a phone for authentication, you will need to consider what type of phone line you will register. The IRS requires the phone line must be:
- A U.S.-based mobile phone number registered in your name;
- Able to receive text messages; and
- It may NOT be a prepaid (Pay-as-You-Go), landline, Skype, Google Voice, or virtual number.
If you choose to use the IRS2Go app, you can use any capable tablet or phone. You will not necessarily need internet access, but the setup phase will take much longer as you will have to wait for a letter in the mail with your activation code.
How to Get Started
If your phone line meets the above criteria, you’ll need a lot of personal information to get started. The IRS will be looking for many of the following:
- A readily available email address;
- Your Social Security Number;
- Your filing status and address from your last-filed tax return;
- Your personal account number from a:
- credit card, or
- home mortgage loan, or
- home equity (second mortgage) loan, or
- home equity line of credit (HELOC), or
- car loan;
- A readily available mobile device that either is text-enabled or supports the IRS2Go app. A text-enabled mobile phone associated with your name will allow you to complete registration in one session. If you want to use a business mobile phone or the IRS2Go app, request the activation code by mail.
NOTE: If you have a “credit freeze” on your credit records through Experian, it must be temporarily lifted before you can successfully complete this process. The credit card cannot be American Express, a debit card, or a corporate card issued in your name by your company or organization.
A Better Way
At BoomTax, we’re dedicated to simplifying your tax reporting. Customers that use our platform for 1099 and ACA filing don’t need to worry about maintaining an IRS e-Services account. BoomTax works with the IRS directly so you can focus on completing your filing without ever having to contact the IRS.
In order to help you quickly and easily import your recipient data, we created Excel spreadsheet templates that contain all of your 1095-C, 1099-MISC, 1099-DIV and 1099-INT data in a standard format. These spreadsheets closely mirror the official IRS forms so that you can enter the information required just as you would on a paper form.
General Import Spreadsheet Guidelines
- All columns in the Excel spreadsheets must be present when uploaded, even if data is not entered or required.
- Do not leave any blank rows between recipient records.
- Recipient last name and TINs must match IRS records. False matches will be returned with TIN validation errors when e-filed.
- Numeric fields pertaining to monetary information do not need to include decimal points for whole numbers (e.g. “3.00” can be entered as “3”).
- TINs can be entered with or without dashes. The information will be standardized when read into our server (e.g. “123-45-6789” or “123456789” would both be accepted).
- Zip Codes can be entered with or without dashes for Zip+4 entries. The information will be standardized when read into our server (e.g. “78401-1234” or “784011234” would both be accepted).
- For True/False-type fields, “true”, “yes”, or “1” are all acceptable.
- For Form 1095-C, Covered Individual Data is only required if the employee is enrolled in an employer self-funded plan. If the employee is not enrolled in an employer self-funded plan, then do not list covered individuals for this employee.
More in-depth validations are easier to find simply by submitting your data file. If your data file is found to break one of the IRS validations while it is being read into our server, you will be shown a message explaining the issue and how to fix it. For example, a bad SSN might trigger a warning like the following: “Line 3: Employee SSN must have exactly 9 digits”.
Select your filing form below to see specific required information for each form and access our Excel import spreadsheet templates.
1095-C // 1099-MISC // 1099-DIV // 1099-INT
Continue reading Import Spreadsheet Format Guidelines for Tax Year 2017