Now Required: D.C. ACA Filing for Tax Year 2019

D.C. ACA Filing

D.C. now requires ACA filing for the 2019 tax year. The District of Columbia will now require all District residents to have Minimum Essential Coverage for themselves and dependents, or pay a tax penalty. The D.C. law also requires employers to submit an information return regarding Minimum Essential Coverage to the D.C. Office of Tax and Revenue. Continue reading to learn more about updates to D.C. ACA Filing.

Continue reading Now Required: D.C. ACA Filing for Tax Year 2019

Corrections: What, When, Why and How?

Every BoomTax filing license comes with free unlimited corrections submissions. We hope you never have to use them, but you should know what they are, when to submit them, why they are necessary, and how to minimize them.

What Are Corrections?

After you’ve submitted your information returns to the IRS, they may come back as ‘Accepted with Errors’ or ‘Rejected’. In order to amend these errors, you’ll need to correct your data and resubmit it to the IRS. You may also need to submit a correction if you or a recipient finds an error in their information. 

Corrections let the IRS know that the initial data submitted is incorrect and provides them with the accurate information. There are two different types of corrections:

  1. One-transaction corrections, which include incorrect money amounts, codes, checkboxes, or a return filed when it should not have been filed, are easily corrected simply by submitting a new form with the correct information and the “Corrected” checkbox marked. These can be submitted electronically through your BoomTax account.
  2. Two-transaction corrections are a bit more complicated. These are corrections for Incorrect or missing Payee TINs or names, or when the wrong type of return was submitted. These corrections involve contacting the IRS via mailed letter to alert them of the error(s).

The most common errors are TIN match errors, where the TIN (SSN/EIN) submitted for a recipient does not match IRS records. We’ll discuss more about what you can do to avoid these errors a little further down.

When Should You Submit Corrections?

You should submit your corrections as soon as you know the information you filed is incorrect and have the accurate information.

If your filing is returned for corrections from the IRS, you should get with any recipients or entities to whom the error pertains and obtain the correct information to submit as soon as possible.

If a recipient alerts you of an error in their copy, you should obtain the correct information and submit it as soon as possible.

Submitting your corrections in a timely manner will help you to avoid being penalized. Remember that you must furnish new recipient copies of any forms to which you make a correction.

Why Should You Submit Corrections?

The short answer is: to avoid penalties from the IRS.

If you provide your recipient(s) with incorrect information, and they, in turn, submit their tax returns with information that does not match what you’ve submitted to the IRS, this can cause problems for you when the IRS receives conflicting reports.

How Can You Minimize Corrections?

The best way to minimize necessary corrections is to be proactive in collecting and maintaining your filing data. Different information returns have different submission deadlines, with the earliest being due to the IRS by January 31.

Still, many filers tend to put off gathering their information until mid- to late-December or even January. By the time the filing deadline comes around, they’re scrambling to collect their data with no time to verify it before submitting. This leaves them more inclined to make errors that they’ll have to correct later. Consider managing and auditing your filing data year-round or at least on a regular basis.

As we mention above, TIN matching errors are the most common reasons the IRS returns filings for corrections. The best way to get around this is to verify your TINs well in advance of the filing deadline.


Our TINCorrect product offers TIN verification that can be used year-round, whether you would like to instantly verify a single TIN during your employee or vendor onboarding process or verify a batch of TINs during a regular audit. TINCorrect works by comparing the TIN information you have with IRS records. TINCorrect lets you know if there are any mismatches before you file.

Submitting Corrections with BoomTax

With BoomTax, submitting your corrections to the IRS is simple! Once we have alerted you that your filing has been returned, all you have to do is log in to your account, click on the name of the filing that needs corrections, and you can edit the data directly within BoomTax. We’ll provide you with plain-language explanations of the IRS error codes and help on how to fix them!

Free unlimited corrections are included with every BoomTax filing license. You will not have to pay any additional fees to submit them to the IRS.

Form 8809 Filing Extension Service – Now Available!

IRS Form 8809 is used to request an extension of time to file various information returns. This extension should be requested as soon as you know it will be necessary and not at the last minute before the original deadline. BoomTax now offers a streamlined filing extension request service directly from your account.  Continue reading Form 8809 Filing Extension Service – Now Available!